What to Expect
Goshinkan-Ryu JuJitsu offers ongoing, ranked, Japanese JuJitsu training through our Adults Program (13 and older), Junior Shogun™ Program (8 - 12) and Little Samurai™ Program (5 - 7).
We also offer short training programs, courses and Seminars such as Women's Self Defense, The Persuader Key Holder, Nerve-Centre Pressure-Point Control Tactics, Escort and Control Tactics, Basic Self Defense, Advanced Self Defense and many more.
Each class is different and engaging, and it doesn't matter what size you are or what kind of shape you are in. Everything is hands-on. Students are strongly encouraged to switch partners regularly and learn the technique(s) on people of different sizes and shapes.
Ju jitsu is for everyone. The following is a typical hour and a half Adult class.
- OpenBenefit from tradition. During our regular training (ranked) sessions each class begins with a formal, traditional Japanese opening.
- WarmUpAfter the formal opening of each session the Sensei (instructor), or Sempai (highest-ranked student), will lead a warm-up comprised of light calisthenics and stretching, followed by a variety of martial arts related drills such as; Breakfalls, Stances and Movement, Rolls, Striking and Movement, Grappling etc.
- LearnAlthough each class varies to some degree, the next part of the class is lead by the Sensei and illustrates a technique or variation or series from the curriculum.
- PracticeThe next part of class varies from randori (free-style practice / light sparring); to work on the curriculum in preparation for grading; to high-stress sparing drills; to core conditioning drills and more.
- CloseFocused self-discipline. Class comes to a formal close, similar to the opening, after 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Curious? Grab some sweatpants and a t-shirt, come down and try a class.
The Goshinkan Hombu Dojo (Main School) is located in Red Deer, Alberta and is operated by Shihan Kevin Lintott Renshi (6th Dan), Okuden Menkyo Goshinkan-Ryu JuJitsu; Headmaster of Goshinkan-Ryu style of JuJitsu; President Alberta Jiu-Jitsu Association.
Enthusiastic students all across Alberta enjoy learning in GMA Dojo's from Red Deer; Grande Prairie; Calgary to Okotoks.